Thursday 9 May 2013

"I'm not thick, I'm dyslexic"

First of all, if you are going to say "dyslexia is an excuse, I could just pretend to be dyslexic to get extra time," then stop reading now.

When I was 15, I was diagnosed with dyslexia. Less than one year before I was due to take my GCSE'S, it was hardly the right time. Nevertheless, I had gone my whole life without it being picked up, teachers always just used to think that I was a) lazy and cut corners with my work, or b) that I rushed my work. There were never any explanations for why I didn't hand in my homework on time, or why I seemed to get answers wrong when all the calculations were correct. In my head I didn't know the answers either. I didn't realize that I didn't do my homework because I just found it too difficult to get my head around the task, or that it took me much  longer than everyone else to process things. Eventually, my maths teachers picked up that I would get pluses and minus symbols mixed up which is why the calculations were right and the answers wrong. This was why I was tested for dyslexia and diagnosed with dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalclia.

I'm not showing-off, but I am an extremely able student. My IQ is 133, which defines me as high above average. However, my cognitive ability to process information is much lower. I also have many of the other symptoms such as anxiety about work, a hand tremor, and terrible handwriting. Most of the time I can read absolutely fine, although for difficult things it feels like I am staring at a big block of words that I just can't take in. It's the same with numbers - I can carry out difficult statistical tests, but ask me to work out how much I owe in a restaurant and I am stumped.  I can learn to spell a difficult word, but I spend half my day trying to remember which "there" or "to" I want to use. I also have an extremely short term memory. If I don't write it down I forget it. This doesn't mean I am rude, but when I forget to do my homework it seems like I don't care, and that's just not the case. Whereas most people can cram for exams, I have to learn everything 3 times over, and put it into a way that I can visually remember it in my head. Now I know my issues, I can see where I go wrong. I know I miss out letters in sentences accidentally, and I know I find it difficult when I'm under pressure or excited to actually get my words out in the right order when I speak. I have had to learn to be organised, and now I don't go a day without planning or making lists.

In 2011 I completed the International Baccalaureate with a very respectable score of 39 (typical Oxbridge offer is 38+). For those of you that don't know about the IB, it is seen as a more difficult alternative to A Levels, with 3 subjects being studied at a standard level, and 3 subjects at a higher level. I proved to myself, that with the help provided, it is possible to succeed. I have learned that you won't get anywhere unless you ask for help where you need it. I needed help to push the IBO to give me extra time in exams, and I succeeded  - I can't thank my teachers enough for that now. I had incredible help from people who took the time to work out how I learned things, how I processed things, and how I would remember things. This help was then used to help me learn to drive, which was one of the most difficult challenges.

I made it to Uni, as a result of hundreds of stressful nights and people supporting me at every angle.
Now, people praise me for my ability to successfully manage and organize myself, and I have gotten 1'st on my last two pieces of work. I know where my pitfalls are, and my friends know and understand that sometimes I will come out with a sentence that doesn't make any sense. The most important lesson that I have taken away from this is that you need to ask for help. You need other people to help you work out your strengths and weaknesses, and then you can build upon that. I might not be able to spell a basic sentence at times, but the support I have had has given me the confidence to know that I am bright and that I will succeed. Don't let people you are thick - and more importantly, never let yourself think that.

If any of you want any advice on strategies or coping mechanisms then send me a message!
Zo x



4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! There's a lot that I think most dyslexic adults have experienced.

    Organization is a huge one, but once you find a system that works for you, it's amazing how much easier it is to get stuff done.

    Thanks for putting this out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you emilie! I think its just all about finding the best way to manage how you work!

      Delete
  2. Well done you I really enjoy reading stories like this as my sister in law had a very similar experience. Would you mind if I featured this on my website? I'm a psychologist working in Milton Keynes. www.katherinegoodsell.co.UK

    I would of course link it back to your blog if you like?

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hiya Katherine
      Yes thats absolutely fine if you could link it back!
      Zoe

      Delete