Sunday 12 May 2013

How to fix your car with kirby grip and other quick cheats.

Quite by chance I have discovered 3 miraculous every day quick cheats, to make my student life even simpler than it already is.

1) How to fix your car with a kirby grip. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. 

Lucky old me got a brand spanking new, gleaming Fiat 500 a couple of weeks ago. As I was driving home from the car dealership, lets say at 77mph to keep on the right side of DVLA, it started making a noise that sounded like the wind rushing through a small hole. Irritating to say the least. Seeing as the car made the noise at speeds you are technically not supposed to travel at however, we decided it probably wasn't necessary to turn back round the dealership. A few weeks later I put a kirby grip on the dashboard while I was sorting out my hair. I obviously forgot about it, and the kirby grip managed to fall behind the dashboard. Funnily enough, the noise stopped. I don't know whether I have managed to fix my car by losing a kirby grip in the engine, but I am chuffed to say the least. Nevertheless, it's probably not wise to try this at home.




2) The student solution to ironing clothes.

The bane of every students life is ironing clothes. Seriously, when have you ever seen a student wear perfectly ironed clothes? The problems start when ASDA's £3 iron's have holes at the top for water and no lid, so you've spilt water all over your clothes before you've started. Then the cord is always far too short and you end up in some horrible cramped position trying to stretch to the plug. Finally, every student house is far too cold to stand hopping around in your underwear whilst you try and iron your shirt as quickly as possible, before all the water has dripped out the spout. Therefore, we don't bother. Sadly, there are a whole bunch of clothes thrown to the bottom of every student wardrobe that are all perfectly wearable, except the effort of ironing them is simply too much. UNTIL NOW. I don't know how my housemate found this out, but she has introduced me into the fabulous world of hair-straightening clothes. They warm up quickly, no water involved, and its pretty easy to skim over the absolutely necessary bits. Fantastic. My mum thought I was absolutely crazy when I introduced her to this idea, but she too has now realized that it is actually, an extremely clever idea!

3) Hairspray. USE IT FOR EVERYTHING (especially tights)

Tights are expensive. Supermarket tights are baggy and thin, and so all my lovely 40 denier tights are worn to death. I mean this literally, unless the holes and ladders stretch to below mid thigh, where they become visible, they get worn. Yes, this is horribly embarrassing when the wind blows lorry drivers get to see what colour knickers I'm wearing, because the hole in my tights is so big, but hey, at least I'm wearing knickers. The beauty of hairspray is that it prevents holes spreading any further. Pop on the tights, spray the ladders and hey presto the tights are completely wearable. Clear/black nail varnish  is even better as it works through washing too, but I've spent too many times walking around with tights stuck to my legs when I've been in a rush. Hairspray also fixes make up, if you enjoy slapping on 600 layers of foundation, and eyeliner that give panda's a run for their money.

Who said students weren't resourceful?



No comments:

Post a Comment